Creating your business

Do you have an idea?

Want to give it a go?

So you have an idea

Here is what you need to do to register your business.

Work activity in France is divided between 3 chambers, la Chambre de Métier Artisanal, la Chambre de Commerce et l’Industrie and la Chambre d’Agriculture. Depending on your activity you need to register with the relevant chamber. So, how do you know which one to choose? 

Broadly speaking, anything that is classed as artisanal like crafts, bakers, cake makers or chocolate maker come under  the Chambre de Métier, likewise, anything in the building industry, electricians, plumbers, bricklayers and many more. The Chambre de Commerce et de l’Industrie look after anything related to commercial activity like buying and selling. the Chambre d’Agriculture looks after all thing agricultural as their title suggests.

Firstly, there are a number of options for creating your business, this is called “statut juridique” and depending on which of these you choose will dictate which “régime fiscal” you will be under.

For many people choosing the “Auto entrepeneur” statute will suffice, this is the most simplest way of getting started in business. The principal is that if you do not earn anything in a given period, you pay nothing in social contributions, there is very little book keeping. The downside is that you are not able to claim any expenses againts you earnings. This is a very simplified overview and I advise anyone who wants register themselves in any business venture to make an appointment with the relevant chamber. they will be able to give you lots of advice which enable you to make the right choice for your situation.

Once you have made your choice, you can register yourself on-line here:

Or, you can make an appointment for the inscription to be done for you. There is a charge, but at least you will have the peace of mind that all of the correct boxes have beeen ticked.

Copies of the following documents will be required which may vary depending on the department.

  • A copy of your passport.
  • Proof of address less than 3 months old.
  • Copy of your Carte de Séjour.