changing your licence.

This service is a postal service only.

Changing your licence

Here is a list of documents that you will need and what to do

What happens after Brexit?  Click here.

Do I need to exchange my licence?

If you live in France on a permanent basis, you are not legally required to exchange your European licence. The circumstances in which you would be required to change your licence would be, for example, if you committed a traffic violation, which would require points being put to your licence, or as the case is in France, the points are deducted. Under the current DVLA rules, you cannot change the address of your licence to an address outside of the UK, this obliges you to apply for a French licence.

Here’s how you do it, you do not need to have any documents translated. If you wish to see the explanation in French from which it is taken, it is available here: Service Public site.

The application can no longer be done at the mairie, prefecture or police municipale, but only by post to a centralised office in Nantes.

You need to fill in, date and sign both the form cerfa 14879*01 ‘demande d’échange de permis de conduire étranger’ and                         cerfa 14948*01 ref 06 ‘Demande de permis de conduire – format de l’Union européenne’.

If you want to keep your heavy goods categories, you will need to have a medical examination with an appointed doctor, taking the form cerfa 14488*02 for him to complete.

If you are married using your maiden name, it is advisable to send a copy of your birth certificate to prove your maiden name.

print them off in colour and then send them with the following:

  • colour copy of both sides of your driving licence
  • copy of your proof of identity (passport)
  • copy of proof of residence (avis d’impôts, utilities bill or similar)
  • copy of both sides of a document proving residence in France for at least 6 months (eg lease, employment contract, tax notification…)
  • 3 photos, 2 of which need to be stuck on to the 2 forms (note your full name and date of birth on the reverse side)
  • For residents of Corsica and other DOM-TOM a cheque made out to the ‘régisseur des recettes’ for the regional tax due.
  • A printed-postage lettre suivie envelope for 50g made out to yourself.  (You can buy this at the post office)          

This all has to be sent off to the Centre d’expertise et de ressources de titres (CERT) – Échanges de permis de conduire étrangers:

TSA 63527

NB if you live in Paris there is a different address:

Préfecture de Police de Paris
Centre de ressources des échanges de permis de conduire étrangers et des permis internationaux de conduite (Crepic)
1 bis rue de Lutèce
75 195 Paris Cedex 04

I would advise you to send this by registered mail (accusé de réception) and don’t forget to keep a copy for yourself.

Close Menu